They are electronic devices that process the information prepared and given by humans in accordance with the sequence of commands prepared by humans, at the desired level and manner, and give or store this information.
Basic Features of Computer
▪ Ability to perform very fast operations,
▪ Consisting of mechanical and electronic parts,
▪ Ability to store a lot of information in memory,
▪ Arithmetic (like /,+,-, *), and logical (like <,>, and or) operations, the ability to make decisions by comparison
▪ The computer does not have the ability to think.
▪ Programmable only
Bit = Smallest unit of measurement
8 BIT = 1 BYTE (8 Bits combined together.)
1024 BYTE = 1 KILOBBYTE (KB)
1024 KILOBBYTE = 1 MEGBYTE (MB)
1024 MEGABYTE = 1 GIGABYTE (GB)
1024 GIGABYTE = 1 TERABAYTE (TB)
Example; 3GB = 3072MB, 6 BYTE = 48 BIT
BASIC CONCEPTS OF THE COMPUTER
- When talking about the computer, two complementary concepts come to mind. The first is hardware and the second is software.
▪ Hardware: It creates all kinds of mechanical and electronic devices (hardware) within the computer. The physical parts of computers are called hardware. They can be hand held. Sample; Screen, keyboard, Hard disk (hard disk), mouse, printer, memory, microprocessor, scanner
▪ Software ( Sowtfare ): necessary for the operation of the computer and that allow for various operations in the whole of computer programs is called.
INPUT UNITS: The parts used to enter data into computers are called input units. Elements such as keyboard, mouse, cd-dvd rom, barcode reader, optical reader, scanner, floppy disk, camera, digital camera form the input units of the computer.
OUTPUT UNITS: These are the parts that process the data entered to the computers via input units such as keyboard, mouse, touch screen and send it to the users as a result. Elements such as monitor, printer, projector, speaker constitute the output units of the computer.